Sunday, December 29, 2013

A seemingly impossible dream...

A few months back my girl and I watched "The Way" on Netflix, about a father's pilgrimage after the death of his son along the Camino DeSantiago trail in Spain. We both talked about making our own pilgrimage along the Camino thinking it would be an amazing and cathartic way to culminate so many years of destruction with something so transformative!

I recently ran into a friend whose son died from suicide a couple years ago. Her plan is to walk the Camino in honor of her son and to raise funds for her non-profit organization that she founded in her son's name.

It seems to be the thing to do after suffering through loss or crisis and surviving. Why? I think its such a spiritual journey. Its a stretching of who we are....going into a foreign country, where you may not know the language (we wouldn't) and immersing yourself in a different culture, living among the people, and walking and walking and walking along beautiful countryside seeing the simple beauties laid out before you. For 500 miles, staying in hostels along the way.

I want to do this. And I want to do it with my girl.

It feels impossible.....raising the funds for such a trip, taking a couple months off of life and work.....the physical demands don't scare me, but they probably should! lol

I am praying that the doors open for us to go through.

Annette

PS: Little one and I went to see Saving Mr. Banks. The story of P.L. Travers and Walt Disney turning the book of Mary Poppins into the movie. If you are an adult child of an alcoholic, you will relate to much. It was such a good movie. Ms. Travers was so afraid. I could relate to her character in numerous ways. Well worth the time and such an unexpected direction... I had no idea those elements were going to be part of the story.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and have been reading it for some time. Imagine my surprise when you mentioned El Camino! I walked it this past June - to celebrate 6 months sober - and it is an amazing trip, amazing country, amazing people. I do so hope you go. June was perfect weather by the way.

mary christine said...

When I saw that movie, I also wanted to do that pilgrimage. It would be wonderful. I approached my daughter and she wanted nothing to do with it! I don't think I would like to do it alone.

My "girl" and I saw Saving Mr. Banks on Christmas day. I had read the reviews, so I knew that her family history was part of the story. It was very moving.

Hattie Heaton said...

I will say a prayer for your doors to open as well. I'm not sure if I am brave enough to do that but it certainly looks appealing.

SoberMomWrites said...

Oh Annette...you should put together a go fund me page (http://www.gofundme.com/online-fundraising/.). You could raise money for your dream...I know I'd contribute! To see you and your girl do something like this together would be a dream for ME and I'm sure many more of your readers. Imagine doing that in the names of all of those sons and daughters who haven't found their way out of the darkness yet. What an inspiration!

Oh nan...now I'm all hyped up and excited. Sorry. Just my two cents.

Sherry

Wife Goes On said...

I found the exact same thing regarding Saving Mr. Banks. Going to it with my A-H was quite interesting. He said it wasn't what he expected, but good. I'm not sure it made an impact on him as it did to me, but at least somewhere, someone may see themselves in P.L. Travers and reach for hope.
Love your blog.

Syd said...

The trek sounds great. I hope that you do it. I haven't seen the Mr. Banks movie yet. Just saw American Hustle which was quirky hilarious.

Or Lauderly said...

Seeing Saving Mr. Banks got me thinking, do you think that watching Mrs. Travers' story creates a healing for adult children of alcoholics, or just touches the wound?

Or Lauderly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.