Saturday, February 23, 2013

Slow down.....

I just read this blog post at Psychology Today about the journey that Alix Kates Shulman has been on caring for her husband who suffered a traumatic brain injury in 2004. While the post is a beautiful example of accepting the one's we love right where they are at, it reminded me of why I love my job. I honestly think I can only manage so much and the slowness and quiet and routine of caring for the elderly ministers to my soul in as many ways as it ministers to theirs. Calm, predictable, actions bring serenity and security to my clients who are so lost in their own worlds.

I think I have had some significant times of being lost in my own world. Being overwhelmed by the circumstances that I have had to navigate. Unknown terrain. During those times, calm, predictable, routine and order, slowly applied to each day, was what I needed to find my way through. I needed to be gentle with myself and allow myself *time* to find my way, to feel.

That is not my nature....my nature is to rush, fly through the door at the last minute, cram as much into each minute as I can and to always feel under the stress of time.

My elderly charges are some of my greatest teachers. Slow, quiet, calm is not boring. It is an incubator for my own healing. It is a place where I can just be and process and most of all, its ok to be there. Its ok to *need* to be there. 

Annette


4 comments:

Signe said...

There is wisdom in the words, "Be still..." I'm glad you're finding your calm. :)

Syd said...

Feeling is the first step--kind of like awareness. Then we have to learn to deal with the feelings--through acceptance. And then we heal--as in we take an action. All good stuff. I have learned to slow down. I want to destress my life as much as possible.

Tori said...

I wish I could be calm, slow and quiet. I am trying to relax a little more and not worry all the time. Sure is hard though.

Anonymous said...

It's the turmoil that the addict puts me through, it's always underlining.