Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mother at the Throne of Grace

I have a friend who has begun writing a blog. This prayer if from her site  Fish and a Biscuit. 
I hope you will check her site out...some beautiful poetry there that we all can relate to for a myriad of reasons.


This is a prayer a long time in the making in this mother’s heart. I remember reading in some parenting magazine or another, while pregnant with our eldest, that once you become a mother, your life will  never be the same.  I wondered  exactly what that meant.  Twenty-two years and three precious children later, I know.
If you are not a mother (or a father), you may have a different relationship or dream that means the world to you, and you struggle to cherish but grasp it loosely.  Feel free to substitute your own treasure, and try leaving it at the Throne of Grace.                     Hebrews 4:15-16
                                                                                                                                                              A Mother at the Throne of Grace
Who do I think I am?  I’ve gotten a little too big for my britches.
Not in fame or wealth, but in power.
As in, thinking I have more than I do.  Thinking I have much at all.
Taking responsibility for things way beyond my sphere.
Imagining myself: “The Supreme Keeper Of  Safety and Wellness”
For those I love best.
How mistaken I have been.
Rather late I see that I can offer nothing in the form of guaranteed protection.
No amount of agonized concern builds a  firewall to keep all trouble out.
So I lay down these delusions.
Transform them to petitions.
Gather up all that needs provision;
My dreams for their well-being, every trial they will face.
And nestle them tenderly in  the most beautiful box I can find:
A treasure box, for that is what it holds.
Humbly, I set it at His feet at the Mighty Throne of Grace.
Oh, I’ll snatch it back repeatedly,
But that’s the thing about our Abba God.  He knows.
And from what I gather, He understands.
Knowing this helps me want to trust Him- leave it there.
Makes me wonder if in fact, this Sovereign’s patience with all that snatching
Is partly why it’s called the Throne of Grace

my three
My Treasures
Kerry Peterson     January 2013
Dedicated to my lovely mum, who released her own three,                                                                         and to my dear friends who seek to sight God each day.

1 comment:

Signe said...

"So I lay down these delusions. Transform them to petitions. Gather up all that needs provision;" Love that. Thanks for sharing. :)