Friday, July 8, 2016

Our Broken World.

We live in a broken world today. I know that many say it's always been this way. That it's the media and technology that brings it all right into our laps, so that we can now watch tragedy unfold in real time before us. Maybe so, but what I know is that the days feel very dark and sad and oppressive. I know that many of us feel the need to battle in our minds and hearts, the negativity and the fear that we feel and it's a lot of work, and it feels like it's becoming harder and harder to keep ahead of the darkness.

I usually stay away from posting anything political or big world news, because it seems I never have all of the facts and somehow I botch it up. Lol But today there are no sides to take. We are losing lives. Black, white, blue, yellow, brown, male, female, young, old, addicted or not, homeless or not. Someone somewhere will decide they don't like another group and they will set out to do harm. Serious, mind boggling, bodily harm. What has happened to us? 

We are a nation filled with many wounded, angry, unforgiving, people. Our first responders are afraid to do their jobs. Various races are afraid of the judgements made against them as a whole and the possibility of attack based on a perceived religion, or belief system that may or may not be true. 

All I know is that every life does matter. This world is filled up to its brim with children of God. Some humbly understand that concept and some do not. My job on this earth is to be a light of His love and grace and forgiveness. 

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing. Luke 23:34

My heart is broken today. Please pray for our world, our nation, for the families in Dallas TX affected by this unfathomable violence, for the families of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. Please pray with me for peace. 

Annette

"Being against evil doesn't make you good. Tonight I was against it and then I was evil myself. I could feel it coming just like a tide...I just want to destroy them. But when you start taking pleasure in it you are awfully close to the thing you're fighting."
                                                                        ~Ernest Hemingway 



5 comments:

Birdie said...



“The world is a violent and mercurial — it will have its way with you. We are saved only by love — love for each other and the love that we pour into the art we feel compelled to share: being a parent; being a writer; being a painter; being a friend. We live in a perpetually burning building, and what we must save from it, all the time, is love.” — Tennessee Williams

Mark Goodson said...

Well, I couldn't help but identify in that first sentence. I get very upset with things. But honestly Annette, I believe this is our nature. It is "mankind" at work. I still keep up with that news, but I keep in context in my mind (or try to).

I spoke with a fellow coach about it. He's a black police officer. He sees things very differently than the media does about what is going on. He analyzed the videos. Said Baton Rouge was not as it was portrayed. But he did say Minneapolis was as bad as they say. As for the Dallas...hmm..

I think if you put more phones in people's laps, we become more aware of the same problem that has plagued us forever as a species. I do. And putting more guns in peoples laps certainly doesn't help either...

Groundhog Girl said...

I agree with Mark in that this is in our nature but I also feel there is an unease about the world currently. Without going into politics etc you only have to look at what happened here in the UK with the Leave/Remain campaign and what is happening in the US with the choices of candidates being offered. People are very discontent and the huge disparity in opinions is a reflection of that. We need more collaboration not split but I do not have a solution. The world and all us inhabitants are cyclical and it maybe this current disharmony is the balance of the yin and yang or maybe it is necessary to make us have a new realisation and ultimately bring about change. I do not watch the news as I have found that all news makes it to me eventually and I don't need the blow by blow account. As you are a lady of faith, take comfort in prayer and seek solace among likeminded people. I think you are a very sensitive soul but this burden is not yours alone to carry. As Ghandi said "Be the change you want to see", we can only be responsible for out little patch of earth so try and do that as best we can. Sorry but long and rambling but virtual hug and I hope you are able to still care but distance yourself from all the pain out there. The Germans call this Welschmertz or something like that and it means world-sadness.

Bar said...

Well said, Annette. Its heartbreaking and mind-boggling to see what has become of our society.

SoberMomWrites said...

Well said my friend. This is what keeps me going...

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King, Jr.


Sherry