Thursday, November 12, 2015

The least expected.....

Molly has a new boyfriend. That is not the least expected thing in my life.

What took me by surprise, was this young man went to middle school with my girl and they were friends. He hasn't seen my girl in a long long time, but Molly said, "Oh Mom, it was so nice to hear him talk about the girl he remembered before she went down this path."

The feelings that came up totally took me by surprise. He knew her, he remembered her and he saw her back when she was just a young girl, freckles and red hair and braces, and today he is filled with compassion for her. It was really surreal to hear someone else's perspective of that time. Validating. He remembers watching her change during those years and he said if he had it to do over again, if he knew what the future was going to hold for her, he would have pressed in harder, hung on to her, pulled her back if he could. Very sweet thoughts. Very sad thoughts....so much loss and feelings of helplessness and regret even for some kid she hasn't seen in years.

As sweet it is to hear these stories, it is also incredibly sad too.

There were good years though! It hasn't always been this way. It was bittersweet to be reminded of that.
She was so adorable and so so kind and sweet and sensitive and caring. She still is so many of those things...

Speaking of which...we had lunch together yesterday. It was a good day. She is open to returning to treatment, to counseling.....we just have to figure out where and how. 

Keep praying please....
Annette




10 comments:

Birdie said...

She is, she is still those things. I am glad she has someone outside her family that remembers her underneath addiction.

Kristen DeRamus said...

I'm praying for your sweet daughter. You inspire me to be a better mommy to mine.

Anonymous said...

Take joy that our God is a God of restoration.

Jesus replied, "What is impossible with man is possible with God."
Luke 18:27

Liz said...

Always praying for your girl Annette..

Grace-WorkinProgress said...

This sounds positive. Someone that can look at the situation more objectively and let her know that there is someone beneath the addiction.
The cycle of crisis life puts us through makes us too tired to remember that person we use to be is still there. Covered up by what has happen to us.

Lolly said...

I commented from my IPhone...don't know if it went through. So I'll comment here again...This made me tear up. I felt an underlying sadness in your words. From someone who understands that pain, and lives with and loves an addict, I know where you are coming from. I understand the bittersweetness of those thoughts. Best of luck to you and your girl Annette. I am always praying for both of you.

sober mommy said...

This makes me want to stay sober forever.....so that I could show my daughter how to get here....if she EVER needs it.....
Thank you for sharing this....
hugs

Anonymous said...

Annette, I continue to hold you and your family in my thoughts. I understand your mixed reaction to Molly's boyfriend's kind thoughts about your other daughter. I have been in that position too regarding my son. I'm here with you (just on the other side of the country.) So glad that she's interested in getting counseling for herself. It's a positive step.

Holly

SoberMomWrites said...

Always.

Syd said...

Sending love to you and your daughter.