Saturday, August 15, 2015

An old friend

I read an old friends blog this morning.... she shared that after 8 years of sobriety, her son has a full time permanent job with benefits. Laura was one of the first blogs I started reading. I am so happy for she and her son, Cliff....they are moving forward, both autonomously, both creating the lives that work for themselves individually. Not just surviving.

Sadly, I am still in survival mode. Reading her words, as happy as I am for her, made me tired. 8 years. My girl isn't even sober yet... and yes Laura is so right in that stopping the drugs is JUST the beginning. The first step. Then there are all of the other underlying issues to be dealt with... the baggage and damage in all of its forms, from years of living an unhealthy and dysfunctional life.

I can't look ahead 8 years. I can barely look to tomorrow.

Just for today, I am here with my little woman who will leave this earth in the next few weeks. I get to focus my love and care on her and do something that feels worthwhile. For today.

Congratulations Cliff and Laura. I really am so happy for you. You are one of the success stories, one of the stories that shows me that recovery from deep all invasive addiction, really can happen, does happen.

Bless your hearts and much love....
Annette

5 comments:

Laura said...

Sweet Annette! I would never have thought that I would be able to share this story with a positive ending. I was certain that Cliff's life was destined to end up in a sad loss and had even tried to prepare myself constantly. I've learned over time to not allow those thoughts where they don't belong. Why borrow trouble as they used to say. God is ALWAYS at work and we have to trust our own walk with Him. He will handle the rest. It's been more than 20 years since we began this path of life....so time is truly what's needed. And, I'm humbly thankful that Cliff began to make wiser choices and decisions that had nothing to do with me. Only God could reach his heart. Inch by inch your girl will change. Don't give up dear friend! We are all rooting for you and your girl. xox

Anonymous said...

I am still walking this path with you. 9 years with many attempts but no lasting sobriety. I pray for you and me and both of our daughters. Anna formerly of letgohangon.

SoberMomWrites said...

You will get your moment my friend. I'm sure of it.

A friend's father passed away last week after some time being ill. I remember praying that he had someone as kind as you in his final days.

Bless you and all that you do. And bless your girl.

Sherry

Annette said...

Thank you for the comments...Anna!! I am so glad to hear from you. I think of you in your retirement home....and I hope you are enjoying sun shiny days and the beach and able to relax. Email me....I don't think I have your email address anymore. I am horrible about saving them! Lv4gves@comcast.net

Syd said...

Sometimes the miracle takes time. I waited several decades for mine to occur, having lived with alcoholism/drinking all my life. Amazing what the HP can do.