Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Power of Addiction....

I have a client who is blind and she loves for me to read out loud to her... we have different books that we read and then the newspaper. Since I am the one who can see, I go through scanning for happy stories or just simple human interest stories to read to her. Let me tell you, they are harder and harder to find!

In the mean time I get to see all of the headlines of awfulness that are going on.....yesterday I saw two separate stories. The first one is about a 54 year old man who has his doctorate in educational administration and has had a flawless job record working for expensive private schools as their principal. He was recently found in a hotel room with a 21 year old young woman. Littered through out the room was alcohol, heroin, and meth. She was passed out and when the police went to wake her, they couldn't. The dr-man said, "She's ok." Eventually they did rouse her and both were arrested. He was able to bail himself out, and she wasn't. He immediately resigned from his position as principal of his "tony" private school and is not responding to the media.

Then this...the son of the man who founded the Lyon Real Estate Company (maybe that is just out here in my area...but its a biggie) who was the then president of the company began having legal issues after being arrested for secretly recording sexual encounters with women without their knowledge from 2008-2010. He was recently put into prison for violating his probation. The police were called to his house and there they found methamphetamine and paraphernalia.

Heard from a teacher friend a few days before reading these articles....her co-worker, a fellow teacher, has a daughter who was a school administrator, making a mid-range six figure income. This woman was married with children. She became addicted to methamphetamine and her marriage crumbled, she lost custody of her children, lost her job, and now lives down on the banks of a local river.

So in reading and listening to just these stories, of which the world is full of many more, I was just awe struck at the power of addiction. Powerful people with so much to lose, give it all up to live in their addiction. What does that say about our kids who never even got to see if they could be powerful adults? Who got derailed before they ever got started? Can they ever break free?

I don't know. I do know that willpower isn't enough for what ails our children. I believe that addiction is a spiritual malady just like the Big Book of AA says...actually it says "alcoholism" but I think the roots are the same. I know that the possibility that my girl might stay stuck is something that I have to look at. The possibility that she could get well is always there too and I can keep that in my minds eye, but the reality of each of my days at this point is not recovery. My reality is that I have to accept that my girl is very very stuck and at this point, I think it is safe to say that only God can save her. All hope is not lost, but I have to live in acceptance of what is....

I know that the world is filled with broken people, including me and mine, and I know that God is filled with redemptive power. Broken people < Redemptive Power. We just need to respond. He knocks at the door....we have to be the one to open it and invite Him in. I pray that our broken kids hurry up!

With love and prayer....
Annette






7 comments:

The neverending battle of child's opiate addiction said...

I pray the same with you Annette. This post so resonated with me tonight. I saw Robert Downey, Jr. on Ellen today and remember his troubled active addiction years and where he is today, it gave me slight hope somehow. I too am looking more at accepting was is...that my son is so very, very stuck and I don't see an end in sight. The good news I can share today is that my son's long time girlfriend went to a Christian Rehab today 4 hours from her home town. My husband and son took her and I am hopeful for her tonight. I can't help but wish that my son was ready as well. xx Renee

ditchingthedog said...

This is a wonderful and sad post about the powers of addiction. Realizing that some will never find recovery is a hard concept to grasp.

Lori said...

That is such a good point about how, when kids get addicted, they never get to see how they could have lived as a successful, happy adult. Unless they climb out of the hell hole. Prayers for your girl and all addicts and their families who suffer.

Dad and Mom said...

All of us are vulnerable to addiction, no matter the wealth, status or location.

The good side of the story is all of us have recovery within our reach too. It's up to the afflicted person to grasp the hand of help.

Hoping and Coping said...

Annette,
I began following your blog last year because your victory over alcoholism inspired me and I have now been sober a year and a half (thanks to the miracle of AA). My youngest daughter has been suffering with bulimia for 4 years now and rampant alcoholism. In July of this year, the addictions almost took her life. She is in treatment at this time and has made very little progress. Insurance has moved her down to partial treatment and she will soon be on her own again. I am also fully convinced that this is spiritual. She comes to church with me and I pray she will come around to realizing that her only hope is God. meanwhile it is helpful to know that there are others of us facing this situation as best we all can.

Signe said...

It can be so overwhelmingly sad how people lose themselves. I wonder sometimes if we have lost ourselves in the material thinking that wealth and power and position is happiness. Money isn't evil, though I do believe that when looking at evil, it is always the root.

Syd said...

Our character defects are never ending. We are imperfect. My friend who just died was described as being imperfect but got through with grace and passed that grace on to others. I agree. We can go a long way on grace from our HP.