Sunday, September 21, 2014

Something so ordinary.....

In the middle of my mountainous refuge burning up, my town being taken over by handsome young fire fighters and all of their gear, letting go of one of my offspring into the big unknown....Molly and I met for coffee yesterday. The spot we met is near the American river where the salmon run every year.

As we were sitting, talking and sipping, a boy of about 14 years old came around the corner carrying an enormous salmon like a baby. He had caught it in the river and was walking to his meeting spot for his mom to pick him up.

There was something so sweet about this whole encounter. We were so impressed with his giant fish and gushed all over about it. There he stood, wearing shorts that were getting too short, mismatched socks up to the middle of his skinny legs, blood dripping down his arms, his backpack slung over his shoulders with his fishing pole hanging out the back. He laid the fish down on the sidewalk so he could go in and wash up saying, "Ugh, I hate being dirty!" lol  He was so cute, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn and Indiana Jones all wrapped up in one. We assured him we would watch his fish. No one was going to get away with it with us watching!

Everyone in Starbucks came out to take a look and we all had an opinion on what he should do next. I thought he needed some ice to pack it in.... what do I know about fishing?! Not a darn thing!This was like the time I told the dad how I thought he should go about roofing the house, even though I have never been up on the roof. I am afraid of heights. lol

Some of the employees gave him garbage bags to carry it home in and I AGAIN said, "I would feel so much better if you had some ice over him." LOL

So being the sweet kid that he was, he went in and got a cup of ice water, came out, took a couple big gulps and then poured the rest over the fish and smiled at me, flung the bag over his shoulder and took off walking to meet his mom.

A beautiful ordinary moment.
Annette

6 comments:

Signe said...

I loved this! I'm glad you were in the right place at the right time. (Might there be a God reference/message in here somewhere?) :)

Hattie Heaton said...

The sacrament of the present moment! When I slow down enough to just be in each moment, I am usually grateful. Sweet story.

ditchingthedog said...

What a sweet moment. Glad you were there to be a part of it. :-)

Jamie C said...

I would LOVE to live somewhere where things like that happen... What a storybook moment!

SoberMomWrites said...

Sometimes it's the little, ordinary things that can really make our day.

So happy you were present for this one. You deserve more of the same.

Sherry

Syd said...

Yes, it's good to put them on ice. Hopefully, he knows how to clean the fish once he gets home. My father was an avid recreational fisherman who taught me all I know about fishing. I have caught some spectacular fish over the years but only do catch and release.