Saturday, May 17, 2014

When I got busy I got better

I have been reading a blogger friend whom I just adore who has begun doing some dog rescue. This "giving back" is giving her so much joy. When I think of the stories she has been telling it always makes me think of the phrase from my recovery program....when I got busy I got better. Its true.

I read Ron's stories of giving back and am reminded of the same principal.I think service work of whatever kind that resonates with us personally, is so important.

I think its why my work is so important to me. I get to focus on someone else for awhile. Be of service, help, meet a need, and it fills me up. Its not about enabling or anything dysfunctional. Its about being a human being who can extend a hand, who can share what we have been given. In my recovery program I get to be a part of the whole that keeps a program going in forward motion so that it can continue to be of service to anyone who comes through the door. I get to be useful.

I think of our addicted kids.....I know that my girl needs structure, routine, and obligations to meet each day. In treatment those things are in place. Once she gets out they are gone and after 30-60 days of a regimented schedule, she is thrown into creating it for herself. It has never worked. I don't feel that it is my place to create a routine for a 25 year old woman...I think if I tried, this would create so many problems on so many levels. So what is the answer.....I don't know. I am waiting to see what opens up. What unfolds, what God is going to do, because as Hattie reminded me, "God is limitless." I am not.

Annette



2 comments:

Tori said...

I can't imagine how much joy and sorrow your job brings.

Doing this rescuing has been quite challenging not easy like I had expected. Which is just fine. Keeps my mind busy.

It has been very hard for me to step away from trying to help B and let him figure it all out when I realize he has limited capabilities. I love your ending "God is limitless."

Tori said...

I can't imagine how much joy and sorrow your job brings.

Doing this rescuing has been quite challenging not easy like I had expected. Which is just fine. Keeps my mind busy.

It has been very hard for me to step away from trying to help B and let him figure it all out when I realize he has limited capabilities. I love your ending "God is limitless."