Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Half Marathon....

In the spirit of continuing to do what I like to do for myself, rather than sitting at home wondering, thinking, worrying, and obsessing....I signed up with a couple friends to *walk* a half marathon in April. There is a running route and walking route for this race. I don't care about my place....I just want to finish in 4 hours or less.

I have not been training, but today I looked at the training schedule and I am not so far behind. I walk a good 6 miles when I do walk and its not a problem at all. So this week the schedule called for two 5mile days and one 10mile day. I already have two 5+ mile days in and have my 10 mile day scheduled for Thursday. I am so excited! I have a new walking partner....someone who is fast and able, but not a super athlete that makes me feel like a middle aged slug. When I mentioned the 10 miles needed for this week she said, "Oh totally doable!" I loved that! No, "Why would you want to do that?!"

It doesn't hurt that we are having absolutely beautiful spring weather here in Ca. Talk of drought is all around us, but its beautiful none the less.

I have determined to take 2 weeks off of work. I am loving it... like I could live this life of having time to do the things I want to do and not just throw everything together haphazardly. Today I picked up little one from school, I walked down to her class and waited for her to come out. No dashing by, barely slowing down and expecting her to jump in and "hurry up." As we walked back up to the car I said, "I am loving this not working thing." She replied with a giant smile on her face...."Yeah, me too." I am here, present in MY life, not some other family's life and crisis. I do love what I do.....but I love this too.

Today is a good day for me. Just me. I don't know how the rest of my family is doing, but I am feeling ok and content for the moment allowing them to figure out their own stuff and allowing God to be in charge. 

Take good care of yourself today.....whatever that may look like for you.
Annette

7 comments:

Jaimie said...

So glad you are still doing it. You absolutely CAN do it! and WILL!!!!

mary said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, strength and hope. Your posts always give me comfort as I make my journey with my charming, smart,
addicted son. Blessings to you.

Tori said...

Oh Annette that is wonderful news. Do they have a crawling route? I just started walking again and I can barely do 20 minutes and that is not at a fast pace.

You give me inspiration to keep going and trying and quit focusing on how horrible I feel about all the additional weight gain these last couple of months and to just take a little time out for me.

I have never had good balance. It is something I am really trying to have. Of course now I am obsessed with the dogs! lol

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to celebrate with you when you achieve it!

mary christine said...

I'm so glad you are able to take a couple of weeks off! It sounds like it is being restorative already!

Are you carrying water for your 10 miler? Nutrition? Let me know if you want any tips from me. I've trained for races for many many years.

Hattie Heaton said...

You have painted such a beautiful peaceful picture. You are an inspiration.

Carrie Kaffer said...

Hi, Annette- I find that physical distractions, challenges- feel very healthy and supportive to me. I hope you enjoy the training and accomplishment of your half marathon! Congratulations on accepting the challenge!!

SoberMomWrites said...

I LOVE this! And I so wish that I could come and walk with you. I think it's fabulous that you're doing it!!!

I'll even admit to being a little jealous. ;-)

Sherry