Thursday, August 29, 2013

Paleo, Phileo, Maleo...

Whatever it is that I am doing...Paleo, Whole 30, I feel awful so far. I am exhausted and have had a headache for days. I don't think I can blame it all on the diet. I think the headache is me detoxing off sugar and artificial sweeteners. Maybe I should have a diet coke, just to confirm that's what it is! I wish!

The other consideration is my new night job. I am so tired! I have 5 nights of interrupted sleep, all night long. Sometimes I just lay there waiting for the next time she will call out. I NEVER go home and nap....but its catching up with me. I am so tired I have no energy to exercise or do much of anything once I manage to get home. I am working about 60 hours a week right now. How does this happen? I always get myself into these messes!

I have to figure something out. We need the money so I can't quit. I need to nap at home during the day which I hate to do. There is so much to do here and I feel like I am missing out on everything if I am upstairs sleeping.

Annette
PS: Eating my two chocolate Viactiv Calcium supplements each day has become a highlight of the day for me. 


7 comments:

Anna said...

LoL on the viactiv. Once it is in my house I never forget to take iti ike other vitamins. Somewhere I read that a daily nap can extend your life as much as a daily walk. Do not begrudge yourself the nap. Luxuriate in it.

Her Big Sad said...

Headaches, lethargy, bone-deep fatigue all are normal reactions to the beginning of this eating program. I don't understand all the science, but your body is basically learning how, in an absence of huge amounts of carbs (even whole grain brown rice, whole wheat, etc) to turn to fat and burn fat for fuel. I experienced a surge in energy and well-being about the fourth day, and the headaches went away. I've heard similar stories from others, including my oldest (screaming headache for three days!), some low carb bloggers and Paleo bloggers. The hours/job you have right now makes it a double whammy - Praying you get some good rest, and that the "detox" symptoms fade fast!

Signe said...

Sleep is so important, Annette. Don't cheat yourself on that. I think you should nap at home as often as you can. When I was a new mom and stressed about keeping the house clean, my mom told me that in 100 years, no one is going to care if your house was dusted. How your childred turn out is more important. The situation is temporary...so I let the dusting take a back seat to my health and kids. Now, I'm forwarding that suggestion to you. Hope it helps. :)

Mary Christine said...

Oh Annette, you must get some sleep - and some rest. I can relate to getting yourself into these things, I always seem to manage to as well.

I felt better almost immediately on Paleo. But built into my "plan" is 85/15. You can deviate from the plan in 15% of your meals during the week, which translates to 3 meals. I think that little margin is keeping me from feeling deprived.

SoberMomWrites said...

You're right where you're supposed to be!!! All of that is normal. The headache thing got me too and that's why I kept the diet coke. You do what you can to get through this time.

I PROMISE it gets better. Just keep telling yourself what a wonderful thing you are doing for your body!

Remember the post about me threatening my husband with a knife? Yeah...that was about where you are now. Now I love him again and he's still around!

You can sooooo do this!

Sherry

Mary said...

:( I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. If it doesn't get better w/i a week, I would ditch this particular diet. I tried no carb years ago, and felt like crap all the time. A couple weeks was enough for me. Idk what all is involved in Palao, but it may just not work for you.

Mary Christine said...

Just thought I would check in and let you know that after 2.5 weeks on paleo, I have not lost one ounce and I am really really tired of eating like this. All the meat is disgusting to me. However, I do not have the guts aches I had before, and I might have more energy.

Aren't you glad I shared this with you?