Sunday, August 11, 2013

Meetin with the girls....

I went to the baby shower yesterday and got to see several of my girlhood friends. The stories are complex of how we all met....no simple, "We went to grade school together." No, our families were in and out of cultish religions together. lol We did eventually go to school together off and on. We were even all homeschooled together at one point.

It was an interesting day. A lot of fun, but I hate to say, no real connections. Molly was with me and she said, "I can't believe all of these women were your friends at one time." Think "the country mouse and the city mouse." lol Most of them were about high heels, diamonds, and Coach purses and then there is me....I had on some flat Old Navy sandals that cost maybe 10 bucks, my old suede purse that I've used for over a year, and my criteria for a car is if it has AWD. I did wear a big beaded bracelet and I glanced at Molly at one point and said, "Good thing I wore the bracelet."

It really was good to see everyone, but I did leave feeling like.....I don't know what. I just don't do surfacey or small talk anymore. When I was leaving home for the day, the dad said, "This should be interesting. You are a very changed person from when they knew you." When we left the party one thing I did feel was that I am good with who I am. That felt really good....to leave somewhere and not feel less than anyone else. They are fine the way they are too....we are different people and that is ok.

I am still planning on continuing my "spiritual journey series." I have just been super busy. School starts Wednesday though... and I am hoping like no other that that helps me to get into a better routine.

For tomorrow though...we are off to a water park all day! Our last big celebration before we go back to the rigors of daily school.

I have been reading all of you on my phone...sorry for typos and short comments. lol
Annette

7 comments:

Summer said...

I think it's kind of sad when people feel the need to have fancy purses and labeled clothes to feel good about themselves. Being rich isn't about what you have, it's about who you are. (I know you know this) I'd much rather hang out with the chick wearing the $10 Old Navy sandals anyday, lol.

Signe said...

Your post made me imagine your family kind of waiting to see how things would play out while you were just happy and comfortable with you being you and going into a situation with an open heart. It really does sound like a good day. I like seeing how people have changed (or not). What they take with them into adulthood and what they leave behind. Sometimes they blend the past with the present. I do love seeing it all. What a good confirmation for you to be so accepting of yourself and others. I think that is a very content place to be.

mary christine said...

I'm sure glad you are who you are! Isn't it wonderful to know we're different and not feel "less than?"

Annette said...

Signe, you hit the nail on the head! I felt content. That is the perfect word. I didn't feel like I had to convince anyone of anything, that my flat sandals were really better than their high heels. Lol I was happy just to be there and let us all be who we are. Thanks for putting a word to it!

Henk said...

So you don't do small talk very well? Awesome. Neither do I. It used to bother me but I am getting more comfortable with the gaps between words.

Good post, reminding me of how friends change, fall out of our lives and new ones come in. You remind me also that I need never be alone. Thanks.

Annette said...

Henk, So happy to see your name pop up here!

dawn said...

" I just don't do surfacey or small talk anymore."
It is my experience that as we age, become more transparent, and live through some of the trials addiction tosses our way, small talk is nothing short of an annoyance. I see this whenever I pick up something to read - I could NEVER see myself immersed in a "People" magazine or watching some "Hollywood" news program or even talking about the weather (unless it relates to seasonal affective disorder). Call me intense, I don't know. I just view life through a different lens today.