Sunday, August 25, 2013

Its a Disease

I have a precious friend who has very little earthly wealth. However this woman lavishly pours love out upon me. She sends me mail, like the old fashioned kind with a stamp that the mailman delivers to my house. Always a sweet note, a poem, a drawing, tea bags to sit and have a minute with, and 4.00 to buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks. She has no idea how much these little moments of her time and connection mean to me. Those tea bags especially.... I stop, make myself a cup, and sit outside and just be and its a gift from her. One that I wouldn't take for myself without her encouragement. I came across a card she sent me for Valentines day and this poem was tucked away inside.

Very timely.....

Its A Disease

I saw you in the ocean
I saw you swimming slow
I saw that you were drowning
But this you did not know

I swam out to tell you
That you were going to drown
But you did not believe me
You looked at me and frowned

I tried to pull you back with me
I took you by the hand
But no matter what I did
I couldn't make you understand

You were drowning faster
And I was drowning too
I was drowning with you
This at last I knew

Finally I let go
Surrendering you to God
Not looking back, I saved myself
Not knowing what to do

I looked around to my surprise
To find that you were saved
You saved yourself without me
I had only been in the way

When I let go
you found God
And only God
Knew the way

~Through,
Diana Gouvea

9 comments:

Walkingthroughaddiction said...

Love this!! What a treasure to have such a friend.

Summer said...

Oh mercy, it's way too early to be bawling my eyes out. That's beautiful and so true...but letting go is so unbelievably hard. I'm going to print this out and keep it with me, always. Thank you for sharing this! Your dear and precious friend is one we could all use. God bless her.

Mary Christine said...

That poem is so lovely and true! And I don't even like poetry!

I am so glad you have a friend like her.

Mrs. Dubose said...

That poem speaks to my heart. Thank you for sharing it. It sure is hard being the mom of an addict. Many blessings to you and yours.

Signe said...

Very beautiful. Thanks for letting us in. :)

Patty D said...

Beautiful. The tea time, the tenderhearted friend, the love and kindness shared, the poem Thank you Annette.

Patty D said...

Beautiful. The tea time, the tenderhearted friend, the love and kindness shared, the poem Thank you Annette.

Tori said...

That was AWESOME!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Syd said...

Great that you have her as a friend. Lovely poem.