Sunday, May 19, 2013

A visitor....

We just got back from being away for a couple days to watch Molly compete in her big track event. Awesome, fun, time watching our girl, who came in 7th in our state in the heptathlon. Very happy for her.

The coach had made reservations for everyone in the most luxurious hotel in a big city....it was uncomfortable it was so luxurious. I came home feeling crummy because I was so out of my element there. As we walked past the bar I couldn't relate to the beautifully put together people hanging out in there, sitting in the plush chairs, chatting it up with the smooth jazz playing in the background and the ice clinking around in their pretty glasses....if my life had depended on it! I came home feeling like I was less than, just a simple woman, who wears flip flops and homeschools her kids and takes care of old people.

Once home I got a call from a friend. She had gotten a bad haircut and wanted to know if I could fix it. Long long ago I was a hairdresser. She came over and took one look at me and started crying. She was having a sad day....so I hugged her, we talked and talked, we took the dogs and little one and her friend to the river to hike around and play in the water and we talked and cried some more.

When we finally left each other we both felt better. I was back in my world. Back with my people in my nature zone. We both had been heard and loved and hugged. God gave us each what we needed today. Thats simply a beautiful thing.

There is no place like home.....
Annette

8 comments:

Signe said...

I can relate to what you said about feeling out of place in certain settings. When we feel out of our element, it can be exhausting. I'm glad you were able to 'regenerate' at your river. :)

Pammie said...

I feel out of my element anywhere but in my own home.
So so proud of the girl!!!

Mary Christine said...

Sometimes I am so concrete, but I have to ask, did you fix her hair?

Sounds like the visit helped ground you both.

Annette said...

YES Mary I did fix her hair. lol Evened up some rough razored edges that looked like frayed yarn....not good.

And Pammie, I think you and I are soul sisters!

Signe...as always thank you for your kind comments. I always look forward to hearing from you my friend.

Dawn said...

Happy for Molly! Sometimes I look at people and think that it must be alot of work to be them.......I prefer a simple life. Whatever makes one happy I guess. How cool you and your friend were there at the right time for each other!

Susan Rickels said...

Your home is your castle. You, Annette, are the queen. I can do posh events once in awhile, but I always prefer the comfort of coming home. Glad to hear Molly did great. If you ever need flip flops, I can loan you a pair of mine!!!! xoxo

Grace-WorkinProgress said...

Nothing is ever as it seems from the outside and most people are uncomfortable in their own skin.

It is always good to come home.

Syd said...

I am glad to get home. Traveling can be exhausting. Overloading the senses and more. It is fun for me to be with those I love, but traveling alone sucks.