Monday, April 8, 2013

Walking through to the other side....

Like everyone and everything, we always have the choice to wallow in our stuff or walk through to the other side. I am choosing to feel my sadness and in all truth sadness may be a part of my life for a long time to come. Addiction is sad. So sad. Its tragic in the true sense of the word....but my feet are still moving. My heart will follow at some point. 

Can we acknowledge and *feel* our feelings and still be walking through to the other side? Yes, and as a matter of fact, I believe its the only way... to feel it all and move on when we are finished.

I just read something in some Alanon literature...something about "seeing everything that happens *to* me as an opportunity." Nothing is really happening to me. I am just watching the fall out, the battle, the struggle, the shame, the feelings of self loathing....in all of their colorful glory fight to hang on to my girl.

In the background is my voice....."you have a beautiful spirit, God is waiting patiently for you to turn to Him, you are loved."

We each have our journey "through to the other side." They are our private journeys. One is not dependent upon the other. We each travel our own paths, meeting at some points and sharing our experiences, and then moving on to continue our journey. I wish we could travel together more often.....but I think these things that we aim to conquer need to be done alone with our Higher Power by our side.

Still believing....
Annette



5 comments:

Signe said...

You are right, it's okay and even good to feel what you are feeling. Not bury them or glance at them and then hide them away. Feelings have a purpose. Like color coded files. You feel angry, you pull out the red file. I'm angry and here are the details of how to handle that anger and a list of what the anger might be telling me. Once that all is discovered,you deal as best as you can with the situation and then you put that file away- that 'warning' emotion- and move forward.

Syd said...

So very true, Annette. We do have our own paths. I believe that moving through the feelings is good. And it helps us to put one foot in front of the other and move forward. That's what matters.

Susan Rickels said...

I totally relate to what you wrote. I am in the process of trying to see the light instead of the dark. I switched anti-depressants and am making an effort to leave the dark clouds behind. There are periods of time in my depression where I can literally stay in bed for 2-3 days doing nothing. I don't want to be that person. I think we all do what is right for us at the right time in our life. God Bless and be happy Annette...you deserve it!

Dawn McCoy said...

I'm sorry. For the bog you removed. I wish I could help.

abbie said...

Thanks for being consistent. Thanks for sharing your life with us. :) It IS gonna be ok. Eventually.