Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Patience....

Lord knows I NEVER pray for patience. I have plenty of opportunities to learn the art of waiting, in my everyday life.

We are all in a process. Each and everyday is a process. What I have learned in my Alanon program is to walk through the process. Don't run, don't bulldoze....but walk through it. See what is there for me to learn. This requires patience. Lots and lots of patience most of the time. It also requires trust and faith.

In my old life, I rushed through, throwing together solutions that seemed appropriate and doable. I wanted things settled and done, sealed up in a neat tidy package, so I could move on to the next thing that needed my management.

Today that is not how my life works. I have learned to not jump into action the minute a crisis appears before me. I can choose to wait 24 hours and see how things play out. I can let the process move forward while I simply watch. I have learned to trust that God is in charge and I don't have to be. I can believe that things will unfold as they are meant to.

I am currently watching someone walk through their own process. It requires patience on my part to stand back and let things go the way they will without my constant direction. I am having to stand back and trust that God has this one. I don't have to be in the middle telling everyone what to do. When something comes up that makes me uncomfortable, I don't need an immediate answer. I can apply my 24 hours rule and see what is revealed. I can stand back and give God some space to work without my meddling self standing over everyone's shoulder...."what are ya doing there? Hows that going to work out? I think this would be better" and the myriad of other opinions I have ready on the tip of my tongue.

This standing back business has pushed me toward living a life of clinging to my faith, vs my own strength, my own best thinking. Those things really, in all honesty, got me nowhere other than stressed out, worried, and angry.

Today I will trust God to work out the details that I have no power over. Its a much more comfortable place to rest in. It hasn't always been that way for me, but thankfully (total understatement) today it is.

Annette


8 comments:

Bristolvol said...

Amen, Annette. I have to apply these principles to my new found relationship with my daughter. Thank you for reminding me. I probably will need this advice in the near future.

Grace-WorkinProgress said...

Your post helped me see that it is back to basics for me. I am going through some strange stuff the past few weeks and wonder what I should be doing if anything.

I didn't sleep last night worrying. I am tired today and your post said everything I needed to hear.

Thanks

beachteacher said...

I love this post - and your 24 hr. idea. I'm gonna steal that one & use it too. Still working on this too - very much so. God bless you & yours. <3

Signe said...

So true. I am not as solid in this place as you. My emotions still ebb and flow depending on my level of fatigue and faith. I understand what you mean, though, about not praying for patience. I did that once and, boy, did things get challenging! (Good to be reading you, again).

Pammie said...

OMG girl...this is EXACTLY what I needed to read this morning. I can throw together a solution (for someone elses life) in about 30 seconds that seems "doable" so that I too can go to the next thing TOO.
OK...yes....I can slow that down!!

bugerlugs63 said...

I bet reading this made God's day ;-) Although I'm sure he has appreciated your advice in the past. You are so good at being honest Annette. I'm glad you're still here writing. Much love x

Erin said...

So glad you are back! I love your writings and glean so much here!

Syd said...

I am not the most patient person, but I know that I need to not rush or force things or people. Learning takes a while and lots of practice of the principles for living.